In the Halloween Spirit

A couple of days ago, my friend Cassie said she hauled out her Halloween decorations--because frankly--there was no time to spare! At that point, just a couple of days before Halloween, it was basically "do or die." And her daughter Greta would certainly not forgive her for doing up the holiday right! It's a long time until next Halloween, you know.

I completely understand how Cassie felt. It would be so sad to miss an entire year of my Halloween decorations! While it is a good excuse to actually DUST my furniture and put away a lot of clutter, I love the cozy feeling that decorating for autumn gives me. I'm definitely a "home-body" so I'm getting ready for the blustery weather and ready to snuggle in amongst my favorite things. Take a peek:

My daughter calls these the "evil skunks." Normally, I would be freaked out about something that looks like this but I like these creepy guys for some reason.


Real pumpkin. Covered in ultra fine silver glitter. Made by my friend Laura for a party. I was a very happy recipient because it's in the "I could do it myself, but it's unlikely I will get around to it" category. Love it, though!

You might remember this paper hat, a leftover decoration from our wildly successful "Wizard of Oz" auction last spring. Love it. It's good luck. Made by my fabulously creative sister Bethany, it reads, "Put on your party hat, my pretty!"


Letters from an old sign of some sort. The sweet little pillows were pincushions from my Grandma's keepsakes. They are backed in this wonderful butterscotch-colored velvet. Super soft.

Our little friend Laurel gave me these Chinese Lanterns last year. They kept quite nicely. (I'm glad because she's not in our carpool to supply me with more this year. Boo!)


This is my empty coffee cup from this morning. Lazy Sunday. Good to the last drop!


How cool is this "paperback pumpkin?" V-E-R-Y. Cool.


I changed the paper on my magnet board to a more "harvesty" theme. The wheat is from one of my friend Kara's trips to Wenatchee. (I miss the wheat fields in September!) The yummy black candle is a Partylite tealight called "Halloween Night." My new favorite. Not overpowering. Very pleasant. AND it comes in both orange and black in the same box. I totally dig that kind of thing. The tablecloth is "new to me" from Finders Keepers Antique Mall in Olympia. It's got nice daisies (not the stinky kind, I'm sure) and fabulous orange mums all along the edge. Great condition!


Here's a close up of my magnet board...which reminds me. I need to get to work on my 2011 calendars or I'll be behind again this year!


This is pilgrim girl. With pie. Overlooking the orchard. The little things on the windowsill are battery operated tealights wrapped in vintage pattern paper and cute fabrics. Not a fire hazard! Unlike my pie baking.





Another faboo glitter pumpkin. Slightly coarser glitter, though. Different effect entirely. (To those of us glitter experts.)



I love this orange enamelware bowl! And I'm a total sucker for white pumpkins. I can relate. I don't tan either.


There must be a "witch hazel" routine similar to "Who's on first?" I'll work on that, if not.


My sister gave me this adorable sign this year.



Happy Halloween, everyone. The Christmas decorations go up the day after Thanksgiving. Stay tuned.