First Day of High School

It was my daughter's first day of high school today. New school. New city. New friends. New clothes. And into all of this new-ness, she carried experiences and characteristics that have been built into her along the way.

In her very first Humanities class her teacher introduced the poem, "Where I'm From" by George Ella Lyon. Her assignment was to write her own version of "Where I'm From." Here's her version--drawing upon her life's journey thus far. After reading it, I'm wondering if--like me--you're also interested to see where this girl is going in life.

Where I'm From
I am from grass stains,
from fuzzy fleece and tree sap.
I am from the rain falling sideways,
running down the slide.
I am from DisneyWorld,
from fairy tales and "Gwinna."
I'm from classical music and Pink Floyd,
from Broadway and Swan Lake,
from the "burst-out-in-songers."
I'm from "Remember that time..."
I'm from the city of 15 minutes across town,
recycling bins and family reunions.
I'm from Johansen's and Target and
grilled cheese and apples.
Writing in journals but never keeping one,
a sunset of spelling,
a haven of music,
the old rusty ladder,
the hot summer grass where I'd catch the crickets.
I'm from all of these things remembered,
but I'm also from the forgotten.