Easter Morning

My own Easter "miracle" was being ready EARLY for church on Easter morning. Since getting a coffee was an absolute necessity, I grabbed my camera and decided to set out early. It was a pretty morning as any Easter morning is (no matter the weather), so I knew I could find some beautiful images along the way. Even though it's hard to juggle a coffee and a camera, I had a wonderful walk to church! I started here:
...and headed to the Seattle Center. My usual daily route. So, why do we say "cute as a button" when daffodils are so doggone adorable? I captured a few different varieties in just a short distance. So pretty!





And then there are the fascinating and charming Hellebores all throughout the Seattle Center landscaping. These are favorites of mine, so I'm glad they planted these everywhere--for my personal enjoyment, of course.
I'll never get tired of seeing this structure every day. This shot is interesting because it shows how "between seasons" we are...there are the branches in tight buds above and the full-blown blooms below. Plus, the sky is pretty typical for early April--overcast and chilly and gray.

It's time for the tulip trees to do their thing, too. You can just barely see the Pacific Northwest Ballet School sign behind this lovely, old tree.

Continuing on my journey, I had to stop and take this picture perfect scene at Sacred Heart Catholic Church. It looks like even the Space Needle is trying to get a glimpse of this GLORIOUS tree!
I have been coveting this camellia for the past few weeks. I love, love, love the deep pink and the super frilly blooms. It took quite a beating in the recent rains but still puts on a good show.
We can't ignore the early rhododendrons either. This one rivals that camellia!

At this point, I felt like I just might be late to church if I didn't pick up the pace. So, I quickly passed by the school...
...and took my seat in the congregation at First United Methodist Church of Seattle. The Easter banner was amazing! According to the announcement sheet, it "consists of 322 squares of stainless steel, copper and aluminum, partially covered by 170 squares of Mylar." It is "held together by over 1300 metal key rings, strung along fish net line tied with nearly 700 knots. The metal squares evoke the metal covering of our building and the design's focus is a large cross of copper, adorned by many smaller crosses created by groupings of rectangular penetrations in the Mylar." Impressive! My photo doesn't do this work of art justice, so come and worship at First United Methodist Church of Seattle SOON to view it. Going to pause here to give a shout-out to Reverend Sandy Brown, too, for delivering a perfect, down-to-earth and moving Easter sermon. He's got a nice "way" about him. A very natural speaker. Loved it!
After church, I spotted this big, old viburnum tree across the street. How fabulous are these big, old showy "snowball" trees?!
On the way home, I stopped at the lower Queen Anne QFC and bought an armload of pussy willow and cherry blossom branches for my sister. The sweet florist there cheerfully wrapped them in brown paper, tied them with a "spring green" ribbon, and sent me on my way to enjoy my Easter afternoon! Here are those same massive branches arranged on my sister's buffet table.
Easter dinner definitely didn't disappoint. (Any meal involving "ham" never could.) Here is my sister's sweet Easter centerpiece and buffet arrangement.



How's this for my new favorite color combo? Brown and orange. I'll have to make some cute cards with this duo.
Good, old Costco gave me an "out" by making this super cute carrot cake. I just got plain lazy and ended up not making my fussy raspberry trifle. We always have too much food anyway, right? Next year!
As if we didn't have enough goodies to go around, my sister and I had taken a little "field trip" to the downtown See's Candies a few days prior. That way we picked EXACTLY what we wanted in our candy box. We are brilliant. Plus, she had a gift certificate. Thank you, Easter Bunny!
I don't know what possessed her, but the Easter Bunny brought these Peeps for our girl this year. Nobody in our family even eats marshmallows...but maybe she just thought they were pretty. Because they are! But they're also a little sad trapped there in their cellophane wrapper. (And now they're shoved in the pantry.)
Happy Easter to all of you!