Spring Break Crafting

Some people go to tropical island destinations or Disneyland or catch the last days of the ski season...but not me. I stay home for Spring Break. It is a much-needed break from my routine and affords me the time to tuck into my craft supplies. It's relaxing, fulfilling and--frankly--cheaper than a vacation! Here are a few things I worked on in the past few days. (In between catching up on real-life necessities such as eye appointments, dentist visits, house cleaning, and everything else that gets put "on hold" due to my daily work schedule.)

For example, this is a package I need to put in the mail for my nephew. Embarrassingly, it's a month late. Worst. Auntie. Ever. Maybe I'm teaching him patience? The "gear" stamps are from a cheap little clear stamp set from WeR Memory Keepers called "Play." First time I've used them. Super cute! The "S" is from my beloved Impress alphabet.
Part of the delay is that I rarely make "boy" cards, so I finally had time to play with this adorable robot paper.
Back in my "girlie" comfort zone, I have enjoyed working with the Dear Lizzy "Neopolitan" line from American Crafts.
And how cute is this "Party Guest" paper from the Pretty Party line by Crate Paper? I stuck in a little tab from my Smash journal because this paper "makes me happy!"
I've been having fun making paper flowers with my Slice. I added a fabric leaf for a little soft texture, too.
More "Dear Lizzy" plus a fun October Afternoon "Little Flyer" flag. How can you not love a card with "flair" added?

I'm really trying to make simpler cards. Really, I am! But it's hard.
Another October Afternoon "Little Flyer." I probably wouldn't have tried these but they were in my Hip 2B Square monthly scrapbooking kit...and I love them! March Hip Kits are still available. Click on that link so you can try them, too!
It's fun to make flowers with contrasting papers, too. Not everything has to be matchy-matchy. Not in my world, at least. I love these adhesive felt flowers, too.
My daughter wants a scooter. I think this one is good enough.
Thanks to "Edith" on YouTube for teaching me how to make rosettes with my Slice!
Here's another rosette card, thanks to Edith on YouTube. Once I know who this is going to, I'll hand-journal a personal message on the house chipboard and circle the applicable dates.
Sometimes cards seem to just go together themselves. This one was fun to make because everything just "clicked." Most of the time it's not like that. But when it happens, it's the best feeling.
This was another attempt at trying to make a simple card. I rarely use the words on my slice, so this was kind of fun.
And finally, a word about "misting." Misting is fun and puts that special finishing touch on your creations. I'm not exactly good at it, though. Sprayers can be temperamental and are not easy to control. Usually, it looks like I turned on a fire hose instead of just giving my page a little spritz.

So, I asked my sister (a supremely talented spritzologist, if you ask me) how she does it. She admitted that she takes the cap off and FLICKS the ink from the wrong end of the sprayer. A perfect answer. I get "misty" seeing my sister's great design work. Click here to check out her masterful misting techniques on her Ribbon, Glitter and Glue blog.

Our other mutual advice about using misters is to use reds and browns very carefully--so it doesn't look like you've bled all over your beautiful work. Just play, spray and find the technique that you like best! Here are some must-have Mister Huey's for springtime designs. Don't these just look daffodilly?
 P.S. The party's over. Back to work tomorrow.