Cards for Grads

Let me just say that I love working with high schoolers. Sure, it tests my patience sometimes but the good days are so good! I feel so fortunate to work with students who are so talented, well-rounded and fun-loving. They inspire me. But sometimes, if I don't understand what they're saying, I have to look it up in this book:


When it comes to graduation gift-giving, it's hard to do something special that doesn't cost a lot. I have 19 seniors to acknowledge this year, so even a tiny little trinket quickly adds up! But knowing these kids, trinkets aren't necessary to tell them how wonderful I think they are. So, I did the one thing I know well. I made each of them an individualized card--personalized with their name and filled with lots of love and adoration. Here they are for you to enjoy, too! (I'm just going to order them alphabetically--by first names--so no one thinks I favor one over the other!)

Arielle is my gorgeous, blooming show-tunes-singing girl. And, yes, I am SO proud of her. A natural-born leader, this girl has a fabulous adventure ahead...otherwise known as "life!" Live it up!


Caleah is my super sweet girl who has a beautiful, finely-detailed tattoo. This card imitates that artwork a little bit (although her body art is more winter-y and this one is summer-y!). The button represents her gift of creative writing which I deeply respect and admire. Thank you, Caleah, for speaking at graduation!


Carla is totally this little pink bird--eyelashes and all. I see her in the vintage button, the rainbow of colors and the sunny yellow ribbon tying everything together. She never fails to greet me cheerfully. (A sign of very good manners.) I will always think of Carla when I hear big band tunes!



This card definitely says "Chloe." The red and black is a nod to her incredible recent illustration work and the bathing beauty reminds me of her yearbook page! I am wishing Chloe joy on her journey.



Note to paper crafters: If you haven't pulled out your eyelet setter or Crop-a-dile in a while, do it today! This ribbon ties perfectly through these flower-shaped eyelets--and for once the knot laid flat! How many eyelets do you have in your stash of scrapbook supplies? Dust them off and use them.


Bling and rub-on accents make this even more fun.



Believe it or not, this card is perfect for Claire. A great Paul Simon quote and a little gnome for a true Waldorf kid! You can't tell from this picture, but the gnome's head and a couple of the mushrooms are on springs--so they bobble around in this super cute way. AND HE HAS A FUZZY BEARD. Seriously.


The littlest mushroom is an adorable brad.


This little bird reminds me of Eliza. Big, beautiful eyes and ready to fly the coop! Fly right and sing out, Eliza!


Ezra will fulfill his passion for performance under the big top. (I had to make my own mini-tent out of paper.) There's a lot going on here, but my daughter said this card is her favorite. I couldn't stop adding fun things to it. Ezra is colorful, creative and one-of-a-kind. In fact, he left for circus camp just hours after graduating! As the saying goes, no moss will ever grow under this guy's feet.


My sister gave me this chipboard silhouette while I was working on these graduation cards. When I saw it, I said, "That looks like Ezra!" And I knew I had to incorporate it somehow. I absolutely love it. Perfect timing.


Gage is my tough--but sentimental--guy. Brown evokes the "manly" feel, while green softens it. I'll never, ever forget Gage. If you need a personal trainer, he's your guy. If you need a personal SMILER, he's your guy, too. 



Jaimiey built a robot. That pretty much says it all. Jaimiey is one of the coolest guys in the whole world. I hope all of his dreams come true.


Joe is a true champion. He's good at sports. He wowed us with his ambitious senior project. He is a clown and a sweetheart. Always a smile for me. Always.



Jordan is my beautiful, delicate (but strong!) artist. I kept her card on the simpler side--but added glitter, bling and paper texture--topped off with a cool wooden flower button. I wish her a life filled with beauty. She wore her great-great grandmother's dress to graduation and looked SO adorable. Once I saw it, I knew this card had been the perfect choice for her.


Josh's card came together SO easily--and I love the simplicity of it. Josh is a King of hearts--he could win anybody's affection. One of the most likeable and interesting kids you'll ever meet. And I love that he tells it like it is!


I like to tease Keira about holding the world record in most college applications. Whatever this girl decides to do, wherever she goes, in all the world--I'll be thinking of her and rooting for her. Go, see and do great things, Keira! But remember to log out of Facebook before you leave a room. And THANK YOU for my scrapbook! I will treasure it!



Lena is competing in national rowing championships this weekend. Go, Lena! Not only is she an exceptional athlete, she is so doggone smart and kind and enthusiastic and funny and sentimental. Thank goodness I'm not the only one in the room who cries when they hear beautiful music!


This looks just like Lena. Without glasses.


Max is my whistler--I always know when he is staying after school to work on the computer. I actually think I'm going to miss the whistling--and his occasional singing! Mostly, I will miss Max's perpetual good humor and positive outlook. I could learn a lot from him--such as, "don't worry, be happy!"


This card is perfect for Noah. He always tries to get me to admit that he is my favorite. I bought this little add-on sentiment especially for Noah's card. Yes, Noah, it's official. You are "number one best of the best genuine good awesome 100% excellent happy super." There. I said it. And I mean it.



SaraMae is a little firecracker, but I see such classic femininity in her, too. She is a gifted painter, devoted humanitarian; She is always thinking, moving and doing. It will be a joy to watch her create, bloom and grow throughout her life. The blue background of her card says, "The sky's the limit!" The pastels and lace reflect her softer side.


I like the complimentary zig-zags of the combined cotton lace and stitching. One of the flower accents is felt, one is a glittery rub-on, and the little buttons are simply chipboard.


Sean is a dichotomy. He shuffles around school slowly, quietly, hands in pockets...but climbs skillfully up rock walls. He hardly seems to notice his surroundings, yet--as his school advisor noted at graduation--he is the master of the "sidelong glance" and it's likely he sees everything. He doesn't seem to bring attention to himself, but he can whisper like a school girl in a classroom setting! It's no mystery, though, that Sean has a heart of gold and a wicked sense of humor. Immediately after graduation, I was walking to the curb with him. I told him how much I would miss him and he said matter-of-factly..."I know you will." Go confidently, Sean!


Even when making a guy's card, you can throw in a paper "rosette" (yes, you can even use pastels for contrast!). I just cut out circles, used my distresser tool to give it a cool edge, and tacked them together with a tiny colored brad.


This little glass pebble with vintage people works with the nostalgic, reminisce and memories stickers...plus, I though Sean would think it was a little weird. So I added it. Plus, we're not really into "bubble tests" at our school, so the paper is a bit ironic, too.


I really do wish Tristan "the good life." I think he will enjoy going from island life to his great, big university adventure. I am so interested to see what he will study there! Always respectful and dear, I added the chipboard skateboard to remind Tristan to relax, have fun and keep moving ever forward!


I love this yellow measuring-tape twill. I have had it for a few years and am hoarding it because I don't know if I'll be able to find it again. It is perfect for this card, though. I secured it with a colorful staple and messy red zig-zag stitching.


Congratulations to our Class of 2012 graduates, and thank you to all of the teachers and administrators who guided them on their journey!