Under the ReindeerDome

My December 21 calendar quote reads, "Gifts of time and love are surely the basic ingredients of a truly merry Christmas." If I'm on your gift list, please give me TIME! I think the Monday before Christmas always elicits panic for people who are normally in control but I really need to step it up today.


And that's why today's post brings an easy (aka "cop out" project) centerpiece idea that is simple and charming, and the beauty of it is that it can be changed up for every season.

On Friday, I stopped by Bartell's to grab some candy canes on the way to school and found a screamin' deal on a glass dome and wooden base. It had to have been at least 75% off, and it was Bartell's so, yeah, it was cheap. The sticker on the glass said "Mouth Blown in Europe" which made us all laugh because it sounded both impressive and awkward at the same time. That's how we roll in the Baker household.

The only thing that didn't excite me was the dark wood color of the base. Nearly everything in our house is light, white, or colorful, so I knew I'd have to alter it somehow.

Our centerpiece right now is a large silver tray with my grandparents' aqua and cream vintage thermos, soft aqua green and cream glassybabies, and white U.S.A. pottery vases. The vases are waiting for holly or greens that have not been acquired yet. Come on, Brenda, it's Monday already. Step it up. The saving grace is that it is hard to tell there is any kind of centerpiece at all since there is so much random crap on the table. (I had to move it to the coffee table to photograph it. I don't need any more humiliation at this point.)


Taking my cue from the cream and teal theme, I painted the base of the display cloche with two coats of Blick Basics Bright Aqua Green. I washed up the glass dome, reluctantly removing the "mouth-blown" sticker forever. It was fun while it lasted.


Next, I added clearance fake snow. There's no snow like sale snow. And, finally, I nestled my favorite little holiday figurine into the snow. Oh, deer, he's so cute in there!


Finally, I pushed a good majority of the crap on the table to the other end, turned down the kitchen lights, and enjoyed the reflection of the tree lights in the European glass. What a great focal point to help me pretend my house is clean and ready for Christmas!


See you tomorrow with more crafts and a new post!