Recycle, Reuse, and Make Your Own Envelopes

It's so hard to throw away good design. In this age of all things online, I still appreciate many of the paper catalogs and magazines I get in the mail--especially those with exceptional photography and art. Some brands do them SO well. Rather than toss these in the recycling bin, get a little more life out of them.

All you need is a little assortment of envelope templates. I have had mine for years but you can still probably find these at Impress or you can make your own with cardstock.

For this tutorial, I used a beautiful holiday Anthropologie catalog, my envelope templates, a scoring tool, my favorite Tombow Mono Glue, pencil, scissors, and a little ruler.


I started with my largest template that will fit a 4.25x5.5" handmade card. Although this is the size of card I typically make, I decided that I probably wanted smaller gift enclosure envelopes since I'll be doing a lot of gift wrapping this week. Here's the largest one I made in this session. Catalog envelopes are super cute inside and out. The hardest part of this project is deciding which side to use!


Use a little glue on the lower flap to keep it in place. When you've filled your envelope, use a little dab of glue, a strip of Washi tape, sealing wax, stickers, or golly, leave it loose.


I also made a few "coin" envelopes for very small enclosure cards. I like the cute little end flap at the top.

Here's a small square enclosure envelope, as well. I thought the image position was good on this one. The little box of matches makes me smile.


Then the creativity really kicked in, and I decided to make a template for some Sticky9 prints I just received in the mail. I will be tying these on top of packages so the adorable envelope will simply add another layer of awesomeness! I used the Sticky9 promotional print to make my template.


Once I had the template, I made a bunch of envelopes.


And once I had a good stash of envelopes (and very little catalog left) I tried to match the themes to my Instagram prints. So much fun!




If you want to mail your larger handmade envelopes, Paper Source makes fabulous printable labels and provides template downloads. Easy. I'll be back soon with more inspiration and art. Happy wrapping and card writing!