Anniversary Art

My husband and I aren't especially sentimental about "special occasions." We've always felt that every day should be treated as such, and honestly, we have ample access to good food and material things each and every day. Do we really need to make a big to-do on our anniversary with gifts, destination vacations, or a decadent meal out? If we want to, we do, but we don't ever feel it's imperative.

Instead, I've started a new tradition honoring our special day. Well, maybe it's not a tradition if it's happened a couple of years in a row, but I'm going to try to make it a happy exercise.

Last year, I made a sweet little 3x3 canvas collage that honored our anniversary. It was a darling piece that incorporated our wedding date, our initials, and other relevant doodling. It featured a mushroom--for it's cuteness--not for any commentary on what we may or may not have been through together.


This was so much fun to create, and though it is small, there are many techniques woven in to it, including acrylics, paper piecing, stitching with thread, rub-ons, stamping, freehand writing, splattering, and art pens.



This year, I got inspired by the work of Danielle Donaldson, artist and author of Creative Girl: Mixed Media Techniques for an Artful Life. Her work is whimsical, full of light and color, and motivating.

I started with a long piece of watercolor paper and simply started to create. Similar to the mushroom canvas, I incorporated some elements that highlight our anniversary date. I feel the overall piece is quite representative of me as a wife and individual, and that alone is a celebration. Although a glass of bubbly would be nice. Mmmm, and maybe a slice of carrot cake to go with it.






Cheers to 24 fabulous years and more to come...